Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

How to Get Your Dream Job as A Graphic Designer?

What should your art portfolio contain:
The best samples of your graphic design artwork & Fresh Ideas!


1. Ignore the jerks. You love your artwork persuade potential bosses and co-workers by impressing them with killer shit.


2. Your work doesn't speak for itself. I've been humbled by this reality many times. Always be cognizant of the the fact that you need to articulate how your contributions/work can make money for "the company"  


3. How the hell do you Network: There are tons of books on this networking conundrum.... You actually have to "figure it out " for yourself. Who do you know that can/will hire you? Probably no one. Join some groups/clubs: First you'll say, I don't have time for that. Make time - you're an artist, a creative person, apply that right-brain to your hiring dilemma!

4. A college education is the minimum level of education hiring persons expect of job candidates. This is true and this is bullshit. Set aside patronage, cronyism, & nepotism: You've walked into a businesses lobby and come face-to-face with people who work there.... many of them aren't qualified. 

When you look at a job posting

know

everything listed there, is what the company would love in a candidate, not what they're willing to pay for/settle for. In their wildest dreams they'd get all that in an applicant. They will settle for far less because


"Hiring is always a last result."


5. There are gaps in my resume: Maybe, but you've likely been making new works, learning new software programs, watching and creating tutorials that enhance your knowledge and experience, and you've certainly been checking out your contemporaries work online!

Hiring managers know damn well people have gaps in their resumes.

You can bullshit them or think about and be able to explain what productive things you were "doing" since you weren't working.

I'm a Graphic Designer:
It took time for me to learn how to make art.

I'm a Graphic Designer:
I work alone.
I work collaboratively.
My work is never finished, but I meet all my deadlines. 


I'm a Graphic Designer:
My dream job is to get paid to design!


Chicago Selfie
Samantha Canada@maestrocanada

No comments:

Post a Comment